Sunday, April 15, 2007

Retired Numbers

This is a pretty interesting infographic. It's all of major league baseball's retired numbers. It shows some odd little quirks.

For example, I wouldn't have guessed that the most retired number (other than 42, which all MLB teams have retired because: A. Jackie Robinson wore it, and B. It is the answer to life, the universe, and everything) is 4.

Off the top of my head I can only think of one retired 4: Lou Gehrig.

I'm also surprised that there is only one retired 7 (Mickey Mantle). Generally, better baseball players get lower numbers, so you would think that there would be a slew of retired 7s. But nope, it's just Mickey.

I only recognize a few of the other "unique" retired numbers. 17 is Dizzy Dean. 45 is Bob Gibson. 72 is Carlton Fisk. 43 might be Dennis Eckersley, but I'm not sure.

No comments: