Wednesday, August 23, 2006

2010 Mindset List

The new "mindset list" is out. This is the list that tries to reflect the frame of reference for this year's college freshman. This year's highlights, IMHO:
* The Soviet Union has never existed...
* They have known only two presidents.
* Bar codes have always been on everything, from library cards and snail mail to retail items.
* Public school officials have always had the right to censor school newspapers.
* The U.S. has always been studying global warming to confirm its existence.
* Richard M. Daley has always been the Mayor of Chicago.
* Non-denominational mega-churches have always been the fastest growing religious organizations in the U.S.

And my personal favorite:

* They have never had to distinguish between the St. Louis Cardinals baseball and football teams.
I remember when I was in high school, some teacher told us that we shouldn't take drugs like Paul McCartney. I had heard Paul McCartney's stuff - mostly the solo stuff with Wings - but I don't think the guy realized that the Beatles broke up the year I was born.

No comments: